Sunday, April 1, 2012

Eat Pray Love Break-Up E-mail

I was watching Eat Pray Love awhile ago on HBO and the scene where Julia Roberts’ character was writing her break-up e-mail to David (James Franco's character) totally hit home...

Dear David, 


We haven't had any communication in a while, and it's given me time I needed to think. Remember when you said we should live with each other and be unhappy so we could be happy? Consider it a testimony to how much I love you that I spent so long pouring myself into that offer, trying to make it work. But a friend took me to the most amazing place the other day its called, The Augustium. Octavian Augustus built it to house his remains. When the Barbarians came they trashed it along with everything else. The Great Augustus Rome's first true great emperor. How could he have imagined that Rome, the whole world as far as he was concerned, one day would be in ruins. It's one of the quietest and loneliest places in Rome. The city has grown up around it over centuries. Feels like a precious wound, Like a heartbreak you won't let go of cause it hurts too good. We all want things to stay the same David. Settle for living in misery because were afraid of change. Of things crumbling to ruins. then i looked around in this place at the chaos its endured. The way its been adapted, burned, pillaged, and found a way to build itself back up again...and i was reassured. Maybe my life hasn't been so chaotic, It's just the world that is. And the only real trap is getting attached to any of it. ruin is a gift. Ruin is the road to transformation. Even in this eternal city. The Augustium showed me that we must always be prepared for endless waves of transformation.

Both of us deserve better than staying together because we're afraid we'll be destroyed if we don't.


-Liz, Eat Pray Love

2 comments:

Emk Ramos said...

hey archie! naalala ko tuloy yang movie na yan! hehe and i was really listening sa mga punch lines na meaningful :) kelan kaya ako magiging kagaya ni liz? haha :)
anyway! miss you archie my friend!

archiemb said...

EmK! I miss you too and the gang ofcourse! It's been ages since we saw each other. I think I saw you before somewhere in Ortigas back in 2009 but I'm not sure. I'm glad that you somehow found your calling in life...:) Why would you want to be Liz though? Haha, I have to admit though, I feel like doing the same thing but I don't have enough resources to just leave everything behind and embark on such a journey... I'm dying to visit Naples!!! :)