Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Orosa-Nakpil, Malate Book Review

Orosa-Nakpil, Malate by Louie Mar Gangcuangco


Orosa-Nakpil, Malate is a book of many things. It is funny, informative, heartbreaking, and thought-provoking.


Perhaps, the most moving part aside from the “rape chapter” was the last time Dave and Ross saw each other. I thought I was about to have a cardiac arrest reading that book scene because it was just heartbreaking. When I was just 20 pages away from the end, I told my big sister, who has read the first five chapters and the last one (IKR? She’s super weird that way) that I know what will happen next, that it is very predictable! I got it all wrong, though. God, that twist!


Dave and Ross’s love for each other reminds me so much of Brokeback Mountain, the infamous love story of Ennis Del Mar and Jack Twist. There’s always the underlying melancholy about their love affair.

And who doesn’t hate Michael Pundasyon in this book? I would’ve killed him myself.


One of my favorite scenes was when Ross collected the flyers telling everyone in Malate that Dave has HIV. That says a lot about Ross. And when I found out that he sold his phone to buy a gift for Dave. Ugh. Waterworks alert!


I immensely enjoyed this book. Louie Mar has showcased his ability to transform experiences thru writing and make it possible for readers to feel his characters.


Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Published 2006 by Louie Mar's Publications

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have tom agree the book is really one of a kind, I actually lend my first copy of the book to friend but was not able to have it back, so i decided to buy my second copy.
I swear.... im not getting tired of reading this book. Everytime i feel depressed, i just grab this book and after an hour or two, im back to my compusure again.
I even email Louie Mar and ask if this book has a part two, cause i think the Kian-Dave Story will also be a good one(but then again the love story of Dave and Ross is undoubtedly the best, the fact that Ross is better looking than Dave yet he remains honest and stick to what he feels to Dave) but Louie Mar emailed me and said that hes not yet prepared to write the second part of the book.
If i have to rate the Book it would be a perfect ten.

archiemb said...

i actually just bought two copies of this book-- -i gave the 1st one to my friend... and second one is mine.

Anonymous said...

mayroon pa bang binebentang ganito.

archiemb said...

yes. I think it's still avaialble in local bookstores.

Unknown said...

ahmm, may book pa po b kyo nyan or any copy?. salamat.

Unknown said...

may book pa po ba kyo?

Unknown said...

may book pa po ba kyo?

archiemb said...

yes I still have a copy of the book. Hindi ko alam if may available pa sa mga book stores. I've tried asking at Nat Bookstore but they said it's no longer available. Dunno' why...

archiemb said...

yes I still have a copy of the book. Hindi ko alam if may available pa sa mga book stores. I've tried asking at Nat Bookstore but they said it's no longer available. Dunno' why...