Thursday, May 5, 2011

Thor Film Review

Cinema: Gateway Cineplex 3 / P181 May 1, 2011

Director: Kenneth Branagh

Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman,Tom Hiddleston, Anthony Hopkins, Kat Dennings

I am not a big fan of any Marvel characters or any Nordic myths, which means I don’t have the brightest idea about Thor. I just know that he is the God of Thunder from word of mouth. Upon seeing the film’s trailer, I’d say that I was quite impressed by it and was excited to catch the film in the cinema.

Last Sunday, I was finally able to catch it and true enough, it didn’t disappoint me one bit. The film was basically about Thor who is vanished by his Father from his kingdom to teach him a lesson –from then one, events took place to regain what he had lost.

The film was actually a typical superhero film for me. There’s the hero, his love interest, the goody-goody thing that he does and of course, the bad guys. Chris Hemsworth in my opinion was perfect for the role. He was very charming and looks great. Whilst Natalie Portman maybe a great addition to the cast as the Scientist Jane Foster, I find her character excessively flirty and not being there at all. Darcy, her assistant had stolen the scenes from her by delivering the humor of the film along with the lead character, Thor.

The best part about the film is its visuals. I daresay that it’s the best film I’ve seen this year so far - for this technical aspect alone. It has the perfect formula of a good film. Okay lines, kinda great characters and stunning visual effects. One will be able to understand and enjoy it thoroughly.

I’ll give it a 9.5/10 ratings.

-paddylast

No comments: