Saturday, July 10, 2010

Repertory Philippines Presents: Equus - Opening Night


I went to see the opening night of the widely talked-about "Equus" yesterday presented by the Repertory Philippines. I was with my friends from the Manila Standard Today, and we were given the best seats in the house played at OnStage in Greenbelt 1.

The play was directed by Audie Gemora and consisted of two acts. The first act was draggy. I felt exhausted after the first act, but I would like to commend the actors playing Dr. Martin Dysart (Miguel Faustmann) and Alan Strang (Red Concepcion) for they both delivered powerful performances.

After a 15 minutes break, Act 2 repeated the beginning of the play, and the audience is anxiously waiting (I could feel it) for the nude scenes. Lol. Act two was perfect as Concepcion started acting out flashbacks when Dr.Dysart gave him the "truth pill." It was a mesmerizing performance by Concepcion and Faustmann, who were on the stage throughout the play.
The set design was relatively blank and small, though; it's a dull combination of black and white and box and silhouettes.

Overall, I thought the casting was great, although I'd say that It was Faustmann who delivered the best of the night. I'd give it a 7 out of 10 ratings, and I encourage 18+ above people to watch it. It will run until July 25.

post scriptum

"Equus" will run from July 10, 16, 17, 23, and 24 also at 8 p.m.

Matinees at 3:30 p.m. are on July 10, 11, 17, 18, 24, 25.

Venue: Onstage, 2/F, at Greenbelt 1, Paseo de Roxas, Makati City.

For ticket inquiries, please call 887-0710 or log on to www.repertory.ph.

No comments: