Sunday, February 6, 2011

The King's Speech Is My Best Picture!


On DVD

Director: Tom Hooper
Starring
Colin Firth
Geoffrey Rush
Helena Bonham Carter


I've seen this film for a couple of times now this year and those times that I've watched it made me like Colin Firth even more. The guy's a genius and deserves all the accolades that he's gotten so far from this film.

The story is basically about King George VI of England (Firth) overcoming his speech impediment (stammer) with the help of his speech therapist Lionel Logue played by Geoffrey Rush. This true story was quite simple to begin with, Tom Hooper who directed the film was able to accomplish that period era vibe and pulled the greatness out of Firth, Rush and Bonham-Carter.

Firth's stutter are very much convincing in every scenes. He's also very much adorable as a very intimidated Duke and a loving father and husband. I love the part when he was telling a story to his kids.

Geoffrey Rush was such a delight to watch all through out the film. He embodies the characteristics of a unconventional therapist/teacher and you will really believe him.

Helena Bonham-Carter played a very refreshing Duchess / Queen as well. I'm not used to seeing her act normal but in this film, she really did pull it off. She's such a darling to watch and very lovable for that matter.

I'm not surprised at all that these three got the nods of the Academy for they all played their role in such a manner that you would want to repeat the film over and over to see them again.

With that being said, I declare this film my Best Picture of 2010 with Firth as my Oscar's Best Actor.

Ratings: 9.5/ 10

-Paddylast

No comments: