Sunday, February 20, 2011

Vanishing On 7th Street Film Review

Gateway Cineplex
P161

Director: Brad Anderson

Starring:
Hayden Christensen
Thandie Newton
John Leguizamo

When checking out what film to watch this weekend I find myself choosing between Unknown and Vanishing on 7th Street. Unknown because of the three stars led by Liam Neeson and Vanishing On The 7th Street by Hayden Christensen. I ended up choosing Hayden's film because of its very interesting premise about people vanishing into thin air because of a mysterious phenomena where light is your only way to fight the "shadows" but then it will also the reason these "shadows" will get you. People on the 7th street started to disappear leaving only the clothes they're wearing and their other belongings. There was no explanation at all why it's happening but you need to keep a light handy or stay in a well-lit place (or wear it for that matter) to survive. Apparently, according to Luke's (Hayden Christensen) flashback, this was a global blackout of some sort.

The film does have a couple of startling scenes and the actors were okay but the whole film just lacks narrative. I am at a loss as to what the story is really about. I do know however, that it's some sort of related to that Roanoke story that the character of John Laguizamo (Paul) was reading before the mysterious event started. It is about the Roanoke Colony who simply vanished either because they abandon the place or die of starvation because there are no supplies to keep them alive.

It is simply mind boggling and draggy at the same time. The characterizations are shallow and non-emphatic from start to finish. The ending is anti-climactic and predictable. I won't recommend this film to anyone at this point. You don't want to waste some valuable time my dear readers...

I'd give it a 3.5 /10 ratings.

-paddylast

2 comments:

May said...

Oh.. glad you watched this, the trailer sort of gave me the idea that it'll be good, but not because trailers were really good doesn't mean it could be good.. have you seen the Next three days?? it was a bit long but-- hey worth it!

archiemb said...

Oh, I haven't seen the next three days...saw it last year in Robinson but wasn't quite feeling it..I ought to watch it I guess if it's good. Don't want to read it from IMDB hehehe para ala spoilers... Q shopping ako this weekend...I need a dose of new flicks hahaha