Sunday, September 25, 2011

Contagion Film Review


@Gateway Cineplex 7, P191 w/D

Director: Steven Soderbergh

Starring: Marion Cotillard, Matt Damon, Laurence Fishburne, Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kate Winslet, Jennifer Ehle

Contagion is a film based on the premise of a SARS / AH1N1 virus-like epidemic, its outbreak and the world’s attempt to contain the disease.

I didn’t actually expect that I would enjoy watching this film because I wasn’t so thrilled about the trailer. I thought it was very ordinary and some kind of an I Am Legend story kind of thing in a more “human way” if you know what I mean. In addition, the film boasted an all-star ensemble led by Gwyneth Paltrow, Matt Damon, Jude Law and Marion Cottilard to name a few. This isn’t always the case about “good” films.

I was however very surprised with the flow of the story and the characters that are easily relatable. Its premise is very possible to happen and it is actually a very scary thought. I also love how the film maintained its realistic approach until the end. It was a bit long and draggy at times but the intermittent scenes between the characters in focus will compensate for it.

Jennifer Ehle kind of reminds me of Meryl Streep in this film. Perhaps, it’s because they have similar features that is why I tend to compare her to La Streep. She was great though and very believable. Gwyneth, Kate and Marion are in unison of providing commendable performaces. Jude Law was annoying in this film but I’ve to say that it works really well with his character.

Overall, I did enjoy the film and I’ll give it a very complimentary 8/10 ratings.

No comments: