Monday, August 15, 2011

The King And The Clown Film Review


On DVD - 2005 / Korea

Director: Lee Jun-ik

Starring: Gam Wu-seong, Jeong Jin-yeong, Kang Seong-yeon, Lee Jun Ki, Kwon Won-tae, Lee Jun-ik

I just finished watching this one. It's the story of two male street clowns and tightrope walkers, Jangsaeng (Gam Wu Seong) and Gonggil (Lee Jun Ki) whose fate led them to perform in front of the King in Soule who fell inlove with Gonggil and from there - the kings tyranny and his court's corruptin where revealed leading to the death of the clowns.

The film lacks narrative - I was actually waiting for back story to Gong-li's character but I didn't get any until the film ends tragically.

The actors were really good and I'm really impressed with Gam Wu Seong, he's a fine actor! The rest were as good as well, even the crazy king.

On the technical aspects, Costume and Set designs are exemplary as well as the cinematography. It's just too bad that those won't make up for a royally good story. I wished they elaborate more about each characters.

With that, I'd give it a 6/10 rating.

No comments: